(me and my sis during the layover)
Well, my little sister just landed and I am anxiously awaiting her arrival. I am all dressed and ready to go. My plan for today is to go shopping at Union Station for some last minute things I need for the walk and they go for an early carb packed dinner somewhere and be in bed by 8 pm. We have a 4 am wake-up call tomorrow and need to be ready to walk at 5 am, we are going to need all of the rest we can get.
But what has happened on the trip so far...
Well, leaving La Paz was a bit of a drama. I received an email at 11 pm the night before my flight telling me it was cancelled. When I called American Airlines they said I could leave La Paz no earlier than the 25th. I nearly had a heart attack, that would mean that I miss the whole walk. This was not an option. But after hours of JJ and I on different phones trying to come up with a solution we had NO solution and I decided to trek to the airport at 4 am anyway to see what I could do.
You see the problem was that I couldn't get out of La Paz to make my connection to Miami from Santa Cruz (also in Bolivia). All flights on other airlines were booked and American was helping with these bookings. So basically you had 200+ people at the airport fighting for the few seats on two other flights with two national airlines. I was really out of luck, then suddenly my angel appeared - Patricia Viscarra.
Patricia is the daughter of one my fellow ABIA members and she was also at one of my recent PINK PARTIES so she knew all about my walk. Well, she had a reservation on a flight (she had managed to get one last night after she got a call about the flight being cancelled). She reserved the last first class seat on the flight. The problem is that she actually needed two seats. But she gave me her reservation! Alleluia!! I had a seat. So I paid $300 USD for my FIRST CLASS one way ticket to Santa Cruz with 15 minutes left before the plane took off and I rushed to the plane. I was in the such a hurry to make the flight that I just sort of forgot to check in my huge duffel bag...OOPS. I was able to gate check it and properly check it in when I arrived in Santa Cruz.
Here I am in the long flight from Santa Cruz to Miami. I can't believe I made it. You see, angels really do exist.
Then I arrived in Miami and got a wonderful surprise. I had a welcoming committee waiting for me at the airport: Mom, Dad, Maxwell and Wole's sister and nephew (in town to help Wole with the boys while Moqui is walking with me. And Monica, Wole and Evan we on their way too. We had a great birthday/family dinner at the airport. Really there is no better way to spend a 2.5 hour layover at the airport...and it was my little sister's birthday to top it all off!!
Happy Birthday Moqui. This is the first birthday we are together since I left to Mozambique in 2006. I know that Miami International Airport gets a bad wrap, sometimes well deserved, but I have wonderful memories there...this being one of them! I love MIA.
Then I literally ran to the plane to make it. I wanted to spend every last minute at Chili's...but I made it and I was able to work off my Buffalo Chicken Salad...ha ha ha.
11 pm - Made it to DC and took a cab to the hotel. Saw some TV...I love flipping through the channels late at night in the US...something always peaks your interest, right? Then I slept until 7:30 am...heaven for me...then I spoke to JJ and Luka on the phone. And Luka reminded me that I had to buy him a Halloween costume and was very intrigued about "sleeping outside." I am camping two nights during the walk. I really miss my boys, but I will be with them soon enough and as the flight attendant reminded me on the plane: Every woman needs her "Mommy FREE" time to enjoy herself.
So here I am it is 12:39 pm and Moqui is still not here...Where is she? I think I will find a phone to call her.
I will try and post an update but I am at the mercy of the free computer at the hotel and I don't have a way to upload the photos from my camera...but let's see what I can manage.

1 comment:
Hello Melissa,
I am Erika from TravelerVoice, a new social network for travel bloggers.
I just found your blog and I really like how you described your travel story of Bolivia and Mozambique with impressive pictures and assertive comments! It's exactly the kind of writing we are looking for our Living abroad section, please feel free to register :)
In the meantime I am running a contest to reward the most outstanding travel blogs on the web and I am still looking for new members :) so please check it out at http://www.travelervoice.com/contest.aspx for further details.
I am looking forward to hearing from you :)
Cheers,
Erika.
Post a Comment