
As I was waking up to the sound of Luka saying "Mama, Mama" this morning at 4:30 am (Yes, he really woke up at this time and wanted to play!) I thought of my parents and then my dad since it was the early hours of Father's Day.
I can't remember one time in my life when my father hasn't been there for me. Whether is was waking up at the crack of dawn (I don't remember doing this, but I am sure I did), helping with a homework assignment, a ride to the movies, helping me with a student council campaign or planning a wedding my dad was always up to the challenge. One thing about my dad is that he is always "in the moment" and always makes my sister and I feel like whatever he is doing with us is the most important task at hand.
Papi, how did you do it....Where did you find the energy? You must have been drinking some serious "Red Bull." Now that I get to run around with Luka all day and at 4:30 in the morning I realize all that you and mom did for us growing up.
You continue to be a great dad and grandfather even if we have some miles between us. Who else will get up and put on the Skype camera at 7 am just because Luka wants to see abuelo on the computer?
I see how you are with Moqui, Maxwell and Wole and I turn a little green when I think how lucky they are to have you close by.
I want to wish you a very Happy Father's Day and remember that even though we live halfway across the globe you are ALWAYS in our thoughts and I know that you continue to be there for me in so many ways. JJ, Luka and I send you a big hug and we will hopefully get to see you on the webcam later today.
1 comment:
Melissa this is really beautiful. Your parents quickly became and inpiration to me after we met and all the times you speak of them. It really puts it all in perspective after you are a parent yourself right? -Wendy
Post a Comment