Most of my posts are about Luka, right? So today I will tell you about my glorious Saturday morning. JJ stayed home watching Luka and I went on a Saturday morning shopping trip. I didn't need anything specific. I just wanted to get out and enjoy Maputo a little on my own and I woke up with that itch to shop. With our trip to Holland approaching I wanted to buy some gifts for our family and also do a little shopping for me since Mother's Day is tomorrow.
My first stop was a yard sale. Yes, we have those in Maputo as well. Every time an expat family leaves they have a yard sale and you can find some really great things that you can't find in the stores here or in Nelspruit (our closest "shopping" city in South Africa). Well this was an American family with kids...my goal was books for Luka and possibly an exercise bike. I scored on the books for Luka, but no bike in site. Maybe next time....
Next on my itinerary was the Saturday Craft Market in town. It is true that amongst friends sometimes the things you buy there are referred to as "Africrap." I think it is because some items you really get tired of seeing and it doesn't seem different anymore, but I must admit that I love to go to the market and find new things that I haven't seen before. I probably go about once every two months and I always find something new. Today I found this great totes. They fold up so that you can stick them in your purse and then they open up into a decent sized tote for shopping or anything else. They are made from capulanas (very Mozambique). I think JJ's sisters might get these unless I decide to keep them, which I am always tempted to do with bags. I really have too many bags, but really can a girl have too many bags?


I also bought a cover for my cellphone made out of capulana...also something new I hadn't seen before. I guess this was more of an impulse buy, but my scratched up cell phone needed some TLC and it looked so darn cute.
Then I bought an oldie but goodie - a capulana shoulder bag. I must have about 5 of them now. And I have probably bought about 10 for presents since I have moved here. I just love them. There always seems to be a new pattern for sale and these bags are so practical. I just love them....I said that already didn't I? I haven't decided what to do with this one yet....present, me...present, me. The jury is still out on this one.
Oh, and I made a stop at the local office supply store where I bought a mechanical pencil (I am such a sucker for pens and pencils) and some mickey mouse notebooks and crayons for Luka. He is really into Mickey Mouse Clubhouse these days and I thought they would keep him busy on our long trip to Europe.
So let's calculate the damage:
Books for Luka $12
Tote Bags (2) $8
Cell Phone Cover $1
Capulana Bag $6
Office Supplies $7
TOTAL $34
Pretty cool...not much for a Saturday morning shopping trip. I just love Saturdays!
Okay, now do you see why I rather tell you about Luka...this was such a silly post. But that is my life in Mozambique. Pretty normal, huh.


No comments:
Post a Comment