Thursday, September 19, 2013

Sam's Birthday: Chilean Style

Sam has been three for a couple of months now. He turned three on May 13th, but we weren't able to celebrate his birthday at his "jardin" until June 14th (yes I know it is September now....but better late than never). 

So when the school told me they only had June 14th available I thought it was going to be strange for Sam and celebrating a month later would be weird. They only do one birthday a day and only on Fridays...so we had to wait our turn. Well, as mommies sometimes are I was WRONG.

Sam knew exactly that we were going to celebrate his birthday even if it was a month later. He wanted to also have a Yo Gabba Gabba celebration and that was much easier for me since we had all the props from his party back in May

Birthday are a BIG deal at his school and the kids really look forward to it. Here is his class as they sit down for the snack.
Here is Sam with two of his best buds. He is acting like he is the "big man on campus," no? He was a superstar that day.
The cupcakes were a hit!
Sam never met a cupcake he didn't like. 
We played games and then it was time for the presents. This is most important part for the kids and I finally got why sending presents almost every Friday for birthday parties is so important to Sam. All of the kids sit in a circle and then one by one in a very orderly fashion they come up to Sam, give him a kiss and give him the present. Then the birthday boy, my Sammy in this case, takes his time opening the present and enjoying that moment. Finally saying thank you to his classmate for the gift. Really cute!
Here are one of those "kisses." 
Oh, there is Mei...his favorite girl in the class and one of his best buds! He is always talking about Mei
The party was a blast and now I see why the school only does one child per day. At first I was annoyed and thought...why can't we double up if the kids have a birthday the same week. But I get it now...it is the student's special day and they have their routine and rituals for the day and wouldn't work if you would double up and most importantly...When in Chile.....just celebrate it like a Chilean. The presents and kisses are great!

No comments: