Sunday, September 08, 2013

Our Little Huasos in Training

Today we were able to dive in, head first into a little bit of Chilean culture. It has taken us a little over one year to embrace Chile. It is about time, right? I mean it is our home for the time being. So when in Chile do as the Chileans do...or should I say as the huasos do! Huasos are Chilean cowboys sand after preparing for their Dieciocho (Independence Day) presentations at school the boys were excited about dressing up like "huasos." 

Fiesta Huasa was an amazing event. There were demonstrations with the horses, games for the kids, delicious food and I also heard the pisco sours were delicious...I wasn't able to sample these. With piscos it is hard to have just one and since this was a family event I thought I would behave.

To open the fiesta the huasos came in with the traditional "chicha. All of the school administrators sampled this traditional Chilean alcoholic beverage. 
Luka found some of his classmates and they had fun running around and playing with kites, also a very popular activity during September, which I was told was the month of kites, but they also go hand in hand with that national festivities this month...from what I can see.
Sam's favorite part of the day was riding the horses. The huasos were there giving complimentary horse rides to the children (only had to give them a tip). Sam even got to choose his horse. Can you see how happy he is. I might have a little cowboy in the making.
Luka was a bit more apprehensive. To his defense his horse was much larger and he didn't have a cowboy leading the horse, a fellow student pulled him along so I think he was a bit more nervous. Heck I was nervous, but after one walk around the area I realized that Luka also got the laziest horse of the bunch...he was soooo slow!
But don't my boys make the best huasos! Actually all the kids at the event that dressed up looked absolutely adorable and I think it is great for them to learn about, participate and celebrate in these patriotic activities for a country that is their temporary home....even if it is only for a couple of years.

Before we left we saw a Folkloric Dance Group performs traditional Mapuche dances. Very entertaining!
If you are in Chile I think you should put this Fiesta Huasa on your calendar of things to do for next year. The atmosphere was very family friendly and it was the perfect size crowd for this type of event.

2 comments:

sandy said...

Lovely photos. Alex and Lizzie had a great time too, if a little too much sugar after winning umpteen prizes at the traditional games. They were spellbound by the Guinea Pig that had to choose a house - poor thing, I hope he had a good feed and a rest after his exertions!

Melissa van Herksen said...

we missed that game!