Okay, so this is the first time I post anything about recipes...I think...I have to go back and check but I don't think I ever have. Most people that know me know that I am not that "handy" in the kitchen. Cooking generally scares me and I get so anxious that I don't enjoy it. There are two exceptions to this rule. I love to make Thanksgiving and Noche Buena dinner every year. This is something I sort of had to learn since I moved away from my family and friends in 2006. We had to create our own traditions and that meant learning how to make our favorite holiday dishes. Other than that I never...okay never ever cook meals at home.
So fast forward to this week. My mother -in-law is visiting from Holland and this time she is visiting us in a country where we don't have someone that cooks. Last time she visited us in Mozambique we had Elizabeth...oh sweet Elizabeth...she was an amazing cook, so there was no need to get experimental in the kitchen. JJ's side of the family is extremely talented in the culinary arts (my family not so much) and this time my mother-in-law is enrolling me in her Kitchen Boot Camp. This past weekend we made Goulash (Hungarian) and a Mexican Stew (can't remember the name...it was in Dutch). Everyone loved the recipes, and by all I mean that my boys ATE that stuff up. I will be making those recipes again soon. I should have taken photo, but this week I decided to document our culinary escapades...I thought it would be fun to share.
Tonight's menu was...
Cajun Chicken with Tomato & Feta
Ingredients
- Chicken Breast sliced in strips (500 g)
- Cajun Spice (3 tsp.) I couldn't find any, so I made my own with this recipe.
- Olive Oil (3 tbsp.)
- Red Onion (1 large, diced)
- Garlic Cloves (3, finely chopped)
- Chicken stock (200 ml)
- Balsamic Vinegar (3 tbsp.)
- Cherry Tomatoes (250 g)
- Feta (150 g, cubed)
Directions
1. Marinate chicken strips in Cajun spice.
2. Heat oil in wok (high) & brown chicken for about 6 minutes (medium heat).
3. Take chicken out of wok & put aside.
4. Drizzle some olive oil in the wok to cook the onions until soft for approximately 4 minutes (low heat) then add garlic and cook for two minutes (low heat).
5. Add chicken stock and simmer for 5 minutes (low heat).
6. Add balsamic vinegar and simmer for 2 minutes (low heat).
7. Add feta & chicken and simmer for 4 minutes (low heat),
8. Add cherry tomatoes and simmer for 3 minutes (low heat).
Viola...you are done!
We served it over brown rice, but I think it will also go nicely over some tri-color pasta. I also served with a small salad (arugula, raw almonds & feta...i just happened to have that in the refrigerator) with a dressing I just whipped up on the spot. We don't have any yummy dressings to buy here in Santiago, most are your typical heavy creamy ones. I usually create something on the spot...here is tonight's dressing recipe. I will call it "Oh, so Good Orange Vinaigrette."
- Juice from one orange
- about 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 2 generous drizzles of honey
- salt & pepper to taste
I really should have taken a photo. I promise to take photos of the rest of the recipes this week. My mother-in-law Joke has me working hard (by working hard I mean helping her in the kitchen) in her Dutch version of Kitchen Boot Camp. Thanks Joke..I would have never ventured into the kitchen on my own.
PS Sorry if I wrote the directions in "Cooking for Dummies" language...the recipe is in Dutch so I was taking notes. For example now that I look at it I think simmer means low heat...so my directions are repetitive...sorry. But you get the idea....enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment