Monday, October 10, 2011

Over One Year Since We Landed in La Paz


This past weekend I spent it cleaning up my iPhoto and organizing all of my photos and I came across this photo from the day our container arrived in La Paz and we started to unpack our life from Mozambique to start our new life in Bolivia. Really, has it been over one year? The time really flew and in a blink I have a "grown-up four year old" and the tiny baby I arrived with has disappeared forever and been replaced by an extremely active...is 16 months a toddler? I really hope it isn't. In any case he is growing up so fast that I can't seem to catch up with him.

As I look at this photo I think how many times in my life will I go through this experience. I love the fact that our life is an adventure, but also dread the fact that we never seem to plant roots in one place. Let's see so far I have unpacked moving trucks 3 times - twice in Maputo (we moved to a house while living there) and once in La Paz. I wonder all the places we will open containers in the future and how many of those places will feel like home.

I guess our family feels at home when we are all together, and it doesn't matter where we are. I often get scared of how the transition for the boys as they get older. Right now, even for Luka it is still fun, but what about the day he has to say goodbye to his best friend or worse yet....a girlfriend. Thousands of expats do it all the time but that doesn't make it any easier.

I never thought I would adapt so easily to places that I have never been to or have any connection with, but as my diplomatic life progresses I realize that especially now that we have kids, to adapt means to survive.

You have to get there, find a school, make a home, find some friends, schedule playdates, go to after school activities...make a normal life as quickly as possible. Growing up I never thought I would have to do this over and over again, but it seems to be working out okay.

I wonder where the next posting will take us...

No comments: