
I must confess that carving my first pumpkin had me very nervous. I don't know why...I just had never done it and I had no idea where to start. Well the first hurdle was finding a pumpkin in town. You see the pumpkins in Bolivia are a completely different color and shape so finding a "gringo" pumpkin was a challenge.

My friend Matt owns a restaurant and his chef goes to the central market every day. For an entire week I had his chef on "pumpkin watch." But no luck...
On Saturday afternoon after Luka begged and begged to make a Jack-o-Lantern we stopped at the market by our house and thank goodness they had a green pumpkin...close enough.
On Sunday Luka woke up at 6 am begging to carve the pumpkin. I couldn't believe his excitement for this truly American tradition. I was kind of excited too, but very nervous at the same time. How the heck do you carve a pumpkin?
So at 7 am JJ and looked for videos on You Tube (seriously, you can learn to do just about anything there) and whala we learned how to carve our first pumpkin.
In the first photo you can see the boys ready to carve the pumpkin. Luka was so excited that he went to get his own camera to chronicle the event.
Luka liked getting all the guts from our special pumpkin.

Luka was so into this project. I wish I had this type of concentration for some of the other activities I do with him...like reading or writing.






No comments:
Post a Comment