Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bolivia & Butch Cassidy


I just came back from the movies and I am usually not a fan of westerns. The whole outlaw with guns thing just doesn't amuse me, but today I really enjoyed this unique western.

The plot was great...supposedly Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid were killed in Bolivia in 1908, but this movie has a different take. Butch Cassidy survives and assumes a different name, James Blackthorn. He stays in Bolivia, where he raises horses and carves out a quiet life for himself. He wants to return back to the states as an old man, but his plans take a turn when he runs into a Spanish engineer/criminal...you have to see the movie to find out the rest.

Sam Shepard does an amazing job. He has this innate talent to let you know what he is feeling without saying a word. It was pretty spectacular to watch. And the scenery...Bolivia is beautiful and this movie celebrates this country.

I have lived here for one year (one year anniversary on Sunday) and I haven't seen any of the places in the movie. I am so taking the Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid tour!

Well, I don't really know if they died at the hands of the Bolivian army in 1908 or not, but I rather think that Butch Cassidy aka James Blackthorn made a life for himself in Bolivia...who knew I had this in common with a legend.

I am not sure if this movie has been released in the US or not, but go see it. You won't be disappointed and you will get to see a lot of this beautiful country I live in now.

No comments: