Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Mozambique in The Economist


I came across this article on Mozambique and I thought I would post it on the blog. My friends and family always ask me about Moz and this article gives you a peek into the economy and how Mozambique ranks in terms of other African countries.

Did you know that in 1992 Mozambique was the poorest country in the world? The article also says that Mozambique is "one of the best examples of post-conflict recovery in Africa." Well living here I find it hard to believe and I often wonder how success is measured, but then again I have never lived in other post-conflict African countries...so I don't have much to compare with. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Mozambique, but I often get frustrated at how things are run here and as an outsider it seems that many of these "donor" programs don't necessarily benefit those that the programs are intended for.

Click here to read article.

No comments: