Wednesday, April 28, 2010

My Birth Story

So, yesterday I was considered "full-term" that means the baby could pop out at any time. I am hoping that he/she waits at least until Monday. That is the day we are moving the family to South Africa to await the arrival of Baby van Herksen.

Well, these last couple of days I have been wondering what kind of birth I am going to have and freaking out about the PAIN and the hours of labor I will have to endure. What else am I supposed to think about, right?

Some people say that you should look to your mom to see what type of births she had and this will give you a basic idea of how yours will go. I don't believe that...but I did ask my mom about the births of my sister and I. I knew they were very different, but I really didn't know the details of mine. Okay, my mom was 22 when she had me...and who knew she had so many errands to run on the day I was born. These are her words that she emailed to me recently:

Melissa Isabel Vigues
born June 3, 1975 at 10:16 pm
"With you my dear daughter I started having pains at 6:00 am. I got dressed and ready to go to the hospital, but Papi had to run some errands before we got to the hospital. First we stopped to drop off a flyer at a print shop that Papi had worked on the night before (remember your father did freelance back then on the side). {Funny I do the same work now}. Then we went to my father's house to let him know we were on our way to the hospital. {Guess no cell phones back then}. Then we went to St. Michael's Church because I wanted to get communion and Father Paz gave it to us at the rectory. {Same parish/school I went to school my entire childhood}. Finally we got to the hospital at about 10:30 am and I was having contractions every 3 minutes, but I would not dilate more than 3 centimeters and I was in labor until 10:16 pm when you were born! Very LONG and PAINFUL labor!"

Monica Maria Vigues
born on September 21, 1978 at 9:05 pm
"Now with Monica I had my first pain at 8:00 pm, while I was in the condo. Your sister was born at 9:11 pm at Cedar's of Lebanon Hospital...by the way we arrived at the hospital at 9:05 pm. The pain was strong, but it didn't last long at all."

I am really hoping my labor is more along the lines of my sister's birth....a girl can wish!

No comments: