Thursday, August 27, 2009

Mozambique Makes National News

This past Tuesday we were crossing the South African/Mozambican border and as we were waiting in the car for JJ to process our passports on the Mozambican side and I noticed a BMW unmarked police car and tons of people gathered around smiling giving the person inside the thumbs up. I was intrigued and not sure who the person inside was. My first guess would have been some famous athlete or maybe one of Mozambique's famous singer like MC Roger...no, I was wrong.

It was a notorious killer who has repeatedly escaped from jail in Mozambique. They caught him in South Africa and were bringing him back to Maputo. He is known as "Anilbalzinho." He murdered a prominent journalist, Carlos Cardoso, in 2000. This man has escaped numerous times, this was his third.

Why was everybody so happy to see him and giving him the thumbs up as if he was just voted MVP of the World Cup? I just don't get it....

To see the story on BBC click here.

No comments: