Saturday, April 04, 2009

It's all in the details...


Last week was Luka's Party and everyone had a good time. But to tell you the truth I was running around the entire time and it is not until now that I can sit back and appreciate the event. It had been a very bad week for our family. We were thinking about not having the party, but then we thought of Luka and we thought the party must go on.

As I look back and think of the things I loved about the party...

The cake....how lucky was I for Luka to mess up the cake of little boy the day we visited the Montessori school. Yes, he totally trashed the cake before the boy even blew out the candles. I didn't know these people and we were just visiting the school. Que pena! I was mortified. But the mom was so nice and I asked her where she got the cake. A Brazilian guy named Divino...translated means divine! Pretty fitting considering the outcome of the cake. So that is the story of the cake..and it was so freaking delicious...the inside was more like a brownie than a cake.

His Happy Bday House...last week we got a shipment in from Ikea and had this huge box. I didn't want to toss it so I had this bright idea to make a house from it. I had the vision in my head but had no idea on how to execute it. Here comes Jaime (local handyman) to the rescue. This man can do and fix anything...and now I know he can build cardboard houses...another one for his resume. Thank you to Laura for the letters made out of capulana (material used in Mozambique for dresses, carrying babies, etc.)

The Party Bags...Why do I always obsess about the party bags? Have you seen what kids do to them 2.5 seconds after you give it to them? I mean the minute I pass them out they are destroyed! But even knowing that I think I will always obsess about these silly things...what OCD mom wouldn't.  I just used brown paper bags and slapped a label on it with Luka's photo. Thank goodness for Avery Labels. I had this idea about making little drums out of colored paper and labeling it with the names of the kids....but there was no time...so Avery Labels it was. Add some ribbon and a star punched hole and viola...party bags.

Musical Petting Zoo...okay I am totally stealing this phrase from my friend Wendy that saw the photos of the party. But that is exactly what it was a musical petting zoo. The dance group not only gave a great performance, but their ability to engage and capture the attention of the kids was amazing. Children ranging from age 1 to 30! Everyone was having a great time dancing, banging on the drums and playing the timbila (the big thing that looks like a wooden xylophone).

My only regret is that I didn't take more photos. I only have photos of the show and cake cutting...thank goodness for Tia Paty. But mommy should have been more on the ball and taken photos of Luka and all his friends. I think next time I will just hire someone to snap pics. I mean I should know better since people hire me to take pics...silly mami!

If you live in Mozambique and want the number of Divino (cake guy) or Milhoro (Dance Group) just send me an email and I will pass it along to you.

The reason I am totally boring you will all of this is because I just found some new blogs and I can't get enough of them. These women are so creative, amazing, funny, normal and reading thier blogs is so refreshing. As I was reading it made me think of Luka's party and I decided to type and reminisce about the party. Here are their blogs:

http://simplelovely.blogspot.com/
http://partyperfectblog.blogspot.com/

ENJOY!

No comments: