Mark your calendars and remember this day! Don't forget what you were doing at this moment. It is such an important day in the history of our country. Just think...40 years from now when people are talking about this day you will want to remember what you were doing on the day Barack Obama was elected to be the 44th President of the United States of America.I just heard Obama's speech from Chicago and it just assured me that he is absolutely the right person to lead our country at this moment in time. If you didn't listen to his speech, I urge you to get on youtube and take a moment to watch it in its entirety.
JJ, Luka and I were watching from our living room in Mozambique and we were all moved. Looking at all the faces in the crowd you could see how much it meant to those people and everything that was at stake. Even Luka was excited. I know that at 19 months he can't really understand the importance of this occasion, but he was pointing at Obama...saying "bababa" clapping and giving the Obama kisses. He must at least like him right!
As we were watching the festivities Elizabeth arrived to our house. She is our "empregada." She works at our home and watches over Luka. She rushed in and asked....DID HE WIN? It is amazing to see how the entire world was watching this election and Obama's journey. Realistically Obama's victory won't affect her day to day life here in Maputo, but somehow she was filled with hope and happiness. I explained to her how black people in America weren't even able to vote a few decades ago and she was shocked. Actually, I don't think she believed me.
And for those of my friends that are reading this and not sharing in my happiness...being a Cuban-American from Miami I have many of those...I ask you to be patient and give Obama a chance. Our country has changed and we need a leader that understands the challenges that face this country and will motivate everyone to work together and create solutions.
Congratulations Obama! Congratulations America!
1 comment:
FINALLY!!! For the first time in two elections I finally got to vote FOR somebody, and not AGAINST somebody. Just like the day of the Challenger Disaster or 9/11, I think I will always remember exactly where I was when I found out about it. I tried to stay awake to see the moment that the election was over, but I fell asleep on the couch at around 10:40PM EST...and 22 minutes later I was woken up by crowds cheering to a big message on the TV screen that said..."Barack Obama is the next President of the United States". I will never forget that, realizing how we have come full circle from slavery to possibly the best President this country will has ever seen. Realizing that history has just been written. Like Mel said, Congratulations Barack. Congratulations USA!!!
Post a Comment